What is Keycafe?
Keycafe is a key exchange service that easily lets you share your keys with guests, family or service providers. By using a nearby SmartBox location, Keycafe users have an accessible and convenient way to pick up or drop off keys.
Here is everything you need to know to get your Keycafe account up and running:
Think of Keycafe as your neighbourhood front desk.
The company was born because of the stress that our CEO and Co-founder, Clayton Brown, felt when hosting Airbnb guests and having no way of getting keys to them. After speaking to the cafe across the street about holding the keys, the idea for Keycafe was put into motion.
There's no longer a need to hide keys under the mat or rely on a neighbour to give property access. Keycafe has taken the stress out of the equation and given an indispensable resource for rental hosts and travellers alike.
Any Keycafe user can drop off keys at any Keycafe location during business hours. Only guests to whom you grant access can pickup your keys during the time period you specify. Visit Creating an Access for the step-by-step instructions on how to grant an access to your guest.
We get this question a lot. Why can't we just have our guest use a code and be done with it. The answer is, they can, your guest receives 2 options, use the single access code, or download the app and connect the access.
1. Access Code They can use the code they receive in the access email or sms to go to the SmartBox with your keys inside, and that's it - super simple.
However, what if something changes or your guests forgets the code? That is where the app jumps into action.
2. The Keycafe App If the customer downloads the app they now know the following information.
- Access code. Your guest will never have to save an email or store any codes - it will always be there waiting for them on their device. (As a bonus at locations with our newest technology the guest can pickup the keys directly from the app!)
- Real-time location of the keys. ( If a guest drops off keys at a different location, or if a cleaner forgets to bring the keys back, the guest can see this in their app)
- Access date and time. Often a guest forgets the time they were authorized to pickup the keys, say you set it for 11am. They show up at 10am and try to get the keys, end up calling you and customer support to find this information out. The app shows them this information right on their phone.
- Walking directions. With the app in hand, they will be guided right to the SmartBox where they can see the keys are currently located. You don't have to email them detailed instructions - the app takes care of it.
- Direct help line. If your guest does encounter an issue at any time during their journey - they can use the app to directly live chat 24/7 in any language to quickly solve their issue.
Why do we ask your guest for a phone number and email address? This is the only way to link your access with the app they download. Otherwise we can't know who has access to your keys.
Keycafe has active SmartBox locations in 45 cities across 12 countries, and is growing every day. Our fantastic support agents are available 24/7 to assist our guests whenever they need it, day or night. With a roster of service staff that currently spans seven different languages, we ensure a seamless customer experience when using Keycafe.
We are rapidly expanding across North America, Europe and Asia. If we do not yet have a location in your city, you can help! Please visit Keycafe Locations and complete the form to make sure Keycafe comes to your city.
Keycafe is a proud partner of Airbnb. While our service is designed to help both hosts and guests of Airbnb, we operate independently. We have tailored Keycafe to work seamlessly within the Airbnb experience for a streamlined key exchange process. A Keycafe user can easily integrate their Airbnb account and instantly share keys with a guest when completing an Airbnb booking.
Airbnb Booking Confirmation
Please note that simply granting or receiving key access does not confirm your Airbnb booking.
The Airbnb integration will not work with a co-hosted account. If you link a co-hosted account using the normal integration process, the guest WILL NOT receive the access notifications.
In order to work with an Airbnb co-hosted account please do the following steps.
1. Obtain the actual Airbnb login credentials for the Airbnb account you are co-hosting.
2. Make sure you are logged out of your own Airbnb account.
3. Log into your keycafe.com account.
4. Hover over your account name and select Integrations from the drop down menu.
5. Hover over the Airbnb logo in the middle of the screen and select Edit.
6. Select Connect with Airbnb button and log into Airbnb using the credentials for your co-hosted account.
7. Once the connection is complete, visit My Keys.
8. Select the name of the key you want to setup the integration for.
9. Select Integrations.
10. From the drop down, select the Airbnb property you would like to share.
11. From the second drop down, select how you want to share. Select prompt if you want to decide each time you accept a booking if you want to use the Keycafe service for that property.. Select Automatic if you want the keys to be automatically shared and the notifications to be sent out.
Businesses such as property managers and realtors are able to use Keycafe to manage all their keys from a single dashboard. If you have a business and need to manage multiple properties, visit our Enterprise page to learn more about our enterprise program. Please contact email@example.com with your questions. We would be happy to provide you with more details.
Keycafe has three different subscription plans for you to choose from. Before making a decision, try our service for free with two complimentary pickups. Visit the iOS app store or the Google Play Store to download the free Keycafe app on your iOS or Android mobile device.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions or contact our support staff for more insights about how to register for Keycafe today.